Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Today I lost my Vista-inity

As a software developer and gadget lover I typically try and keep myself electronically up to date. It is second nature to periodically check for software upgrades and driver enhancements, and with one exception I feel I do a pretty good job of being across the relevant latest and greatest.

My one exception is no more, as today I lost my Vista-inity!

I’m not sure if it was all the bad press during release, the decision to migrate to Mac OS X at home, or maybe the absence of a compelling reason to switch to Microsoft’s Vista operating system but until today I’d only really observed it from afar.

As I’ve noted before I’m new to my company and have been hired as a Software Consultant. I’m currently working on an internal engagement helping one of the larger project administration teams with some in-house systems. As the role is really only a couple of days I’ve been floating between workstations and today just happen to land on a box with Vista Professional.

I can honestly say after 8 hours experience I don’t know what all the fuss is about. Granted I didn’t have to install the software. Sure a companywide user policy might have set some of the more annoying defaults to manageable settings but all in all my productivity wasn’t affected at all.

I quite liked the Vista Score section under the equivalent to the ‘My Computer’ properties and must confess that the machine I was using wasn’t exactly a slouch scoring pretty reasonably in most categories. I did turn Windows Aero off as I didn’t see a need for the desktop to be that graphically enhanced.

Ironically after I’d finished all my customisations it looked almost like Windows XP ...

No comments:

Post a Comment