Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A change in mentality

I’ve had a blogging revelation over the last few days on the back of needing to research and learn a new technology. Traditionally with this blog along with emails that I scribe I try for interesting titles or subject lines. I’ll often take an extra minute to link the subject with the body sometimes utilising a subtle undertone - for example last week I used the Swedish translation of a Willie Nelson song title -though in fairness this is as extreme as I’d go. Another perfect example of this is my review on two of the DigiDNA products in July. I titled my post “Thank-you DigiDNA” where “FileAid \ DiskAid Review” would be more appropriate.

The revelation is around relevance and keyword searches, it is about how we filter the inter web for useful information. If I’m looking to buy a new gizmo or trying to configure a specific product to collaborate with another product my search engine keywords will be very specific to that task. A Google search for “Thank-you DigiDNA” had by blog third in the results list yet on a subsequent search for “FileAid Review” I didn’t even make the first five pages. If I ever want to help a fellow web surfer with any of my brilliant life observations then I need to maximise the likeliness of my blog being offered to them as a relevant search result.

So with a little remorse though strengthened with the knowledge that it is for the greater good. I’ll be reverting to the more common practice of clear distinct post names, under the illusion that at some point in the future I’ll write something that is useful to a complete stranger ...

No comments:

Post a Comment