Thursday, August 20, 2009

Farewell Scotty


I've followed the Essendon FC all my life and really love my footy, however I've only been seriously breathing the red and the black for around a decade now. I guess writing it down it seems like a long time but as a percentage its only a third of my life.


While I know of Essendon greats like Tim Watson, Mark 'Bomber' Thompson, and Gary O'Donnell and even recall some of their playing days, I don't have a long standing supporter/player relationship with them.


Scott Lucas on the other hand has always felt like a pillar that helps support the Essendon FC Club as much as a player that makes up the 22. While I'm not arguing that it isn't time for Scotty to hang up the boots it does feel like a changing of the guard. As a supporter who recently experienced* his first ever change in coach at the ripe old age of 29 its hard not to look back fondly on such a great career.


Maybe its because Scott and I are practically the same age, maybe its because Scott was always such an easy target for opposition supporter to get stuck in to. Whatever the reason I've always had a soft spot for the big left footed number 25. While his greatest strength was also his most notable weakness. It never got old watching him wheel around on to his left side by any means possible, and hoisting a long long goal through the big sticks.


His last quarter in 2007 against a finals bound West Coast Eagles in the Hird/Sheedy farewell match was maybe the most dominate quarter of football from a forward I've ever witnessed. Whilst I believe it took Lucas 10 years of consistently improving football to produce his best, it was simply spectacular. Not many players in our great game can claim a club best and fairest from both Centre Half Back and Centre Half Forward in varying years.


If I had one criticism to aim at the man, it would be simply why does he only have three daughters? You'll have plenty of time on your hands Scotty its time to produce a heir ...

No comments:

Post a Comment