Friday, July 31, 2009

Your eBay item sold!


Well it might have taken me three years and four months but I've finally joint the millions of people worldwide to sell something via eBay.

The argument I had with myself when I decided on a whim to buy an iPhone 3G S at launch, was that I must immediately sell my original iPhone 3G to compensate the cost. It seems 'immediately' is a month long process but in fairness it took me two weeks to list and the default auction length is 7 days so it doesn't take long to add up. I'm pretty happy with the iPhone's ability to keep its value selling it twelve months later for around 60% of its original cost.

But enough about the iPhone, lets talk about the selling process. It really is a wonderful service but it doesn't come freely, I'm an advocate of you get what you pay for so while I'll highlight the cheeky charges I won't go so far as feeling hard done by.

I should point out that the eventual winner opted to pay via credit card with PayPay and from a seller point of view I think this incurs the most handling charges. To list an item with four images on the listing page and a duplicate image on the gallery page ended up costing me $4.84AUD. I was then charged an additional $15.43AUD from eBay once the item sold. If I add to this the $12.50AUD that PayPal charged me to accept the credit card payment I'm looking at a cost to sell of $32.77AUD

So for a national and even worldwide audience I sold my item at a cost of 6.5% commission to third parties and I don't think anyone can complain to much at those numbers.

A final word for those planning to sell something be very wary of the international buyer trying to purchase your item for a son in a different country. They are pretty much scammers and should be avoided at all costs ...

No comments:

Post a Comment