Thursday, July 30, 2009

What is irony?

The universe can be a cruel task master sometimes and today I was given a sharp swift reminder.

The new job is city based so I decided to take advantage of the location today over lunch, and took in my Sony @200 Digital SLR to measure it up for a new camera case at Crumpler Designs . After a disastrous start where my assumably beloved iPhone sent me up the beaten track to the wrong address, it quickly redeemed itself with a 'Goggle' search to find the actual address and I begrudgingly re-navigated the three city blocks that I'd overshot my mark.

A longer than expected stop had me fitting my DSLR into the various offerings and I finally decided on the '4 Million Dollar Home' the only decision left was what colour. A drab black and a light blue/orange combination where my options and although I guess I'd already decided I sent an MMS to the wife to confirm. Fearing picking the wrong one and not hearing back from my wife I left the store empty handed with the intention of visiting the next day to pick up the new bag.

Heading back to the office but having already been an hour I grabbed a fast bite to eat. As I sat down I flung my backpack over my shoulder but lost track of it letting it free fall the last foot to the ground. The landing thud had me cursing profoundly in my internal monologue, as I released the beanie wrapped camera body and protection-less 75-300 ml lens where not snugly stuffed in a brand new camera bag, but rather the opposite in a bag no thicker than a T-shirt.



A nervous unpack of the bag and examination of the camera body and lens realised my fear. The lens hood was cracked. A little discouraged I took solace that I was smack bang in the middle of Camera Shop central so after work I began the quest or replacing the maligned part. Three shops, and three apologetic nods of the head later I was sent in the direction of the 'Sony Centre'.

Confident that the Sony shop would be obliged to stock it. I made my way there only to find out my pocket will be $50 lighter and according to their system the part wont be delivered until freaking October 7th! I've got a 'speedy spares' business card and will be calling them tomorrow.

The moral of the story is buy the protective camera case colour you like and be done with it ...

No comments:

Post a Comment