Tuesday, September 15, 2009

District 9


I'm horribly late with my thoughts on District 9 but given I sight a decent smattering of films at the cinema I wanted to pen my thoughts on any flicks I deemed worthwhile.

I should begin with the customary read at your own peril as while I'll make efforts not to provide any spoilers these thoughts are best read once you've seen and formed your own opinions.

It is a rare film these days that manages to not only introduce new IP but also stays under the buzz radar yet seem genuinely well financed. District 9 seems to have all the production values, special effects and attention to detail you would expect in an over hyped summer blockbuster. Yet only receive a week or two of promotion in comparison to what seems like months of over-marketing the large films bombard us with.

I'd actually already made my mind up to see District 9 prior to seeing any direct promotion of the film. I'd heard about it due to its link with Peter Jackson and the now debunked Halo Movie. The story goes that Microsoft had began early production on the Halo movie and while Peter Jackson was producing, Neill Blomkamp was to direct. Due to lack of financing the Halo movie project was canned and Jackson and Blomkamp decided to pursue alternative projects and settled on producing and directing District 9. Interestingly enough Blomkamp had never made a full feature fill but District 9 was both based of his short film 'Alive in Joburg' and some of the assets and early work they'd both started on the Halo movie. So naturally given my enthusiasm for the Halo universe even this loose coupling had be interested.

I found it a marvellous immersive world that mirrored and maybe even openly exaggerated some real world multi cultural challenges. It takes the audience on a pendular journey of prejudice. However I think it would equally entertain a team of football players as it would a room of scholars. It is brilliantly paced and wonderfully acted and a must see for any science fiction action fan.

If you don't mind a little senseless violence it is an excellent thinking mans social commentary and while I won't rate it as this isn't a review I do highly recommend it …

No comments:

Post a Comment