Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The problem with idolising Boys

This entry is more than a fortnight late and while I don’t apologise for the delay I do feel it loses a little bit of its bite. I hope to keep more up to date with my entries in the future. For the time being please humour me and cast your minds back not a week or even two, but around three to Grand Final and its lead up.

I was asked on the Saturday (Yes GF day – try and keep up) if I was disappointed ... with the Lloyd decision to retire. I grimaced and responded to be honest I’m more disappointed with the Hurley incident. It is ridiculous that I judge the single action of a nineteen year old boy during the post season the greater of two evil versus losing the clubs single greatest goal kicker – ever!

If you haven’t heard, Michael Hurley who’s teenage brilliance at both ends of the ground in the closing rounds of the 2009 season, was involved in an altercation that include the play book of don’ts. "Alcohol", "Police", "early hours of the morning" and "assault" where all words alleged in the articles and news clips reporting the incident. It was devastating to have one of the brighter shinning kids of the football club being consistently brought up in talkback radio and editorial’s in conjunction with Brendan Fevola‘s Brownlow night antics.

The only defence Essendon faithful have is that Hurley is a teenager and Fevola should know better. Despite the fact that Hurley is as young as they come it still doesn’t remove the fact that he has a strike against his name and depending on his actions for the next decade or more, it could haunt him forever.

I know I’m being a little melodramatic but a West Coast supporting friend of mine still grimaces when reading media stories about Ben Cousins and even Michael Gardiner. Instead of calling them Premiership player or All Australian respectively they are often tagged as ex-drug attic or disgraced ruckman, just for dramatic effect by editors trying to sell newspapers.

I will miss Lloyd and thank him as I did Lucas for over a decade of spectator-ing goodness, but just as the winds of change blow the shadow of a new era over Essendon FC. It will take the emerging brightness of kids like Hurley and Pears to eradicate that shadow and ensure the club’s star burns.

From all reports the incident was completely out of character and everyone, especially teenagers should be given the benefit of learning from their mistakes. I’ve already seen a glimpse of Hurley on the field and still - though a little nervously - look forward to his growth both on and off it in the red and the black for many years to come ...

No comments:

Post a Comment